It used to be you needed expensive equipment and people with technical skills to record and broadcast your own videos in church.
Now anyone with a smartphone has the ability to make decent quality videos which can be uploaded to sights such as Vimeo, VINE and YouTube for public broadcast.
The possibilities of what you can do in your ministry setting are limitless. Here are just 10 ideas.
- Videotape the sermon and upload it to YouTube for shut-ins to watch. (Be aware that if you choose to video the whole worship service, you must obtain copyright permission to broadcast hymns, solos and liturgical music.)
- Preview special events—video the preparations and interview those who are in charge to talk about what a great event it is and why everyone should attend. Show the video at church but also upload to YouTube and share on social media. If it is a community event it might be worthwhile to buy a Facebook ad sharing the video.
- Instead of reading the announcements off the bulletin, think of some creative way to use a short video highlighting the announcements. Use your youth!
- Have confirmation students interview your elder members to talk about some of the changes they’ve seen in the church over the years.
- Ask a faith question like, “What does discipleship mean to you?” of a variety of members of all ages and put the answers together in one video.
- Invite members to say one thing they like about their church. Share the video on your website.
- Have newly confirmed youth make a video telling the new class what to expect.
- Have young Sunday School students tell their favorite bible story.
- If you are in a text study, have each person there share what they plan to preach on, then give a preview of your own sermon and share that on social media before Sunday.
- Video youth and children acting out bible stories.
Any of these can be shared in a variety ways but think beyond your church walls. Anyone can register for YouTube channel and upload videos. Upload your videos and share them on social media. Have some fun!
Pastor Joelle Colville-Hanson
Director for Evangelical Mission, ELCA
About The Rev. Dr. Joelle Colville-HansonThe Rev. Dr. Joelle Colville-Hanson has been Director for Evangelical Mission, ELCA for the Northeastern Iowa Synod since late 2013. Part of her job description is to help leaders and congregations use social media and other digital means for outreach and mission. She writes and edits this blog as well as runs the social media accounts for the synod.
Latest Posts By The Rev. Dr. Joelle Colville-Hanson
- 05.17.19ELCA members rally to support student pastor
- 04.26.19“Faith, Sexism, and Justice: A Lutheran Call to Action” to be Presented at 2019 Churchwide Assembly
- 04.04.19Flood Buckets Still Meeting Needs
- 03.21.19“Who is my Neighbor” New VBS Resource from ELCA World Hunger
- 03.01.19Cultivating Vitality FAQs