The Northeastern Iowa Synod Assembly begins next Friday, June 12 under the theme of renewal and bold leadership.
Along with the #NEIASA15 hashtag, you are also invited to tweet and share with the hashtag #boldleadership.
As part of our 6 year plan to lift up characteristics of leaders of the reformation to celebrate renewal, this year we look at the life and ministry of Jan Hus, a Czech reformer who lived 100 years before Martin Luther.
The Rev. Dr. Kit Kleinhans, Wartburg College Mike and Marge McCoy Family Distinguished Chair in Lutheran Heritage and Mission and Professor of Religion will give the key note address talking about Jan Hus and exploring themes of renewal and bold leadership on Saturday morning.
We will also hear from our ELCA representative, the Rev. Barbara Berry-Bailey, manager for Relationships in east and Southern Africa in ELCA Global Mission.
|Why is Rachel dressed like a cow? You’ll find out at the Synod Assembly!|
There will be business meetings and elections and resolutions, which is all important work to keep the church alive and moving so that the “Gospel is preached and sacraments are rightly administered”.
(Check out this brief little primer on Parliamentary Procedure and you’ll be better able to follow along)
There will also be worship. For many people it is our one time in the year to get together to blend our voices in praise to God with hundreds of other children of God.
|Who will be awarded these amazing trophies? Find out at the Synod Assembly!|
There will exhibits to learn about all the resources and ministries and networks in our synod. There are three opportunities to attend forums and seminars. At these seminars you can:
- Learn more about the life and times of Jan Hus
- Engage in conversation about how our Synod, the ELCA and our congregations work together as the three expressions of the church
- Explore practical ways we can encourage healthy of body mind and spirit
- Learn more about Cross-Generational ministry
- Learn more about our Companion Synods of Hungary and Namibia
- Discover new resources for helping congregations understand, manage, and grow their stewardship
- Explore new ideas for youth ministry
- Discuss how to set boundaries and use social media in safe and appropriate ways.
- And much more
We look forward to seeing you. If you aren’t going this year, check back to this blog for updates and make plans to come next year. Northeastern Iowa Synod Assemblies are among the best in the ELCA!